Friday, January 22, 2010

Priorities

We all make choices in our lives. Most of us make selfish choices when we are young. I would hope that we become better at making choices as we get older and mature. It doesn't always work out that way though.

There are people who never grow up. They never get any better at making choices. They never try to get over their selfishness. These people are not good parents. They are the type of parents that choose to go to Las Vegas instead of paying for things for their kids. They are the parents who don't pay child support so they can buy motorcycles or video games or whatever they want.

These people are also the type of people who make their kids feel bad for wanting things. The things that are important to them are not the things that are important to their children, so they make their children feel guilty for wanting them. They make their children feel bad for them. They tell their kids that they don't have money or that they can't pay their house payment, then they go off and play golf with their friends.

This just doesn't make sense in my world. I try to do everything I can for my children and family. I don't spoil them and give them everything they want, but I do what I can for them within reason. I teach them the important lessons of life. I teach them the value of things. I teach them the difference between wants and needs. I do what I can to make sure they don't end up being the type of selfish, immature people that I dispise.

I know for a fact that people do not change unless they want to change. So, if you expect your spouse or parent to change you are out of luck.

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP