Wednesday, May 12, 2010

We Are Ready

We had our final in-home interview with FamiliesFirst last night. It went great. I did not have to answer very many questions, but the girls had to answer quite a few. The Queen and I just had to fill out some more paperwork while the girls were being interviewed.

Our social worker was trying hard to talk us out of being foster/adoptive parents. She was telling us horror stories. I think she was just trying to see what our reactions would be and I guess she was satisifed. I was making dinner and helping Meg with her homework, so I did not pay much attention while she was not talking to me.

She told us that she has not learned anything from us that would prevent us from being foster/adoptive parents. She said that she would go back to her office and work on getting us certified. We really have no idea when they will call with a child or children. Toward the end of our interview, she got a phone call about some children that were being taken away from their mother. The children were five, three, one and a newborn. We all just kind of watched her in amazement as she was saying the kid's ages.

It is really hard for us to believe that there are people out there who either do now want to take care of their children or who are not capable of taking care of them. I know there are probably more than we think out there. It is all very sad.

One new piece of information she gave us is that a child will not be able to be adopted until they are placed in a stable home. For this reason, we may need to allow the child(ren) placed in our home visits with their family until the adoption is finalized. I thought all along that the child(ren) placed in our home would already be separated from their family and that we would not have to deal with their birth parents. I was wrong, but I think we can work through that without any issues.

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP