Sunday, October 25, 2009

El Dia de los Muertos

I really love the idea and imagery of Dia de los Muertos, the Mexican celebration of loved ones who have passed away. Many people may see the sugar skulls and Catrina dolls and think that this is a morbid holiday. It is quite the opposite.

For Dia de los Muertos, grave sites are decorated very elaborately with marigolds, sugar skulls and the favorite food and beverages of the departed. Pan de Muerto bread is eaten and the life of the person is celebrated. It is celebrated on November 1st and 2nd in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saints' Day, which occurs on November 1st, and All Souls' Day, which occurs on November 2nd.

The celebration can be traced back to an Aztec ritual to honor the deaths of ancestors. The festivities were dedicated to the goddess Mictecacihuatl, known as the "Lady of the Dead." This is the origin of the modern Catrina dolls.

I have collected a few Catrinas on my trips to Mexico. I really like them and what they stand for. They are very traditional and the good ones are extremely delicate. I have spent many days gluing fingers back onto the dolls after they have been broken in transport. I don't think I have one that has not been broken.

Two of the best Dia de los Muertos celebrations take place in Tzintzuntzan and Janitzio in Michoacan. I have really wanted to visit there for the holiday and will make it there sooner than later.

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP