Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Halloween Music

I have been attempting to put together a soundtrack for Meg's birthday party on Saturday, which is Halloween. I have been digging through all of the "standard" Halloween music and I must say that I am disappointed. Most people consider songs like "Purple People Eater" as Halloween classics. I don't consider most of these songs Halloween at all.

I am disappointed with the creativity of Halloween songs. I have always thought that "Dead Man's Party" by Oingo Boingo is a great Halloween song and that it would make a great party theme. Meg is too young for that, but when she is older we will definitely use it.

Today I took a major turn in my search and went to horror movie songs and I am much more satisfied. They have the sound I associate with Halloween. The Silver Shamrock commercial jingle from Halloween III is one of my favorites. I think it just has that sound of a kids song, but there is something sinister behind the sound that makes it work. Another great song for Halloween that is along the same lines is "This is Halloween" from The Nightmare Before Christmas. While it is not from a horror movie, it is a great song by Danny Elfman who is formerly of Oingo Boingo.

Of course the Friday The 13th and Halloween theme songs are classics. I am a little disappointed that there aren't any original songs from the Rob Zombie movie The Devil's Rejects. There is however some good Rob Zombie music in the movie House of 1,000 Corpses.

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP