Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Foster Parenting Class Part 2

As I stated yesterday, this two-day class was very informative. I learned a lot and found myself very interested in the information. I even mentioned to Tina that I would not mind becoming a social worker. The only problem is that it requires a master's degree and they pay is not good at all.

The passion for the subject matter that Maria showed really helped me to accept the information. She made me want to learn more about the behavior problems and their causes. I think that this is the first time that I have shown any interest in this subject. I may even look into it some more.

The most troubling part of the training is that now I am able to see the behaviour that is caused by abuse. I am able to see it in the behavior of kids I have come in contact with. As I think back, I have no problem accepting the figure that 80% of children in foster care have been abused. I told Tina that a lot of the behavior problems she tells me about from her school stem from abuse of some kind. She already knew this, but it was a revelation for me.

I never thought about why a child acted the way they did or why some children were slow learners. I wouldn't say that I never cared, I just don't think that I was educated enough to even think about why it was happening. Now I know differently. I don't think I will be able to watch a kid throw a tantrum in a store the same way again. I will always be analyzing the behavior and trying to determine what the cause is. I now understand why Dr. Drew is able to come to a conclussion so fast with the callers on Loveline.

This was a great experience for me.

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP