Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year, New Resolutions?

I don't normally make new year's resolutions. For about the past three years I have vowed to improve my life, both mentally and physically. I believe that I have done an OK job of accomplishing these two items. I have started to read books regularly and I exercise at least five days per week. I still need to work harder.

I began thinking this week about whether I would make a resolution or vow for 2010. I don't know if I will or not. I have read some other blog posts that have intrigued me. One mentioned that your resolutions should be smaller and more focused. For instance, I will drive to the gym every day at 5:00. The reasoning here is that if you drive to the gym, you will most likely go inside and work out. A drive is much easier to get motivated for than a workout.

Another blog post recalled his plan for the decade that ends tonight. He suggests that maybe ten years is too long a a period to plan for and that we should plan for seven years. His big question is, "Seven years from now, what will you have to show for what you're doing right now?" If your answer to this question is not what you expected, you should create a new plan that will help you achieve the results you are looking for. Or at the very least be a more fun way to waste seven years.

I think that I would like to be a better person next year. A person who does things for other people. I am working on that with getting involved with Families First as a foster/adoptive parent. This will help the child(ren) that we bring into our home as well as our own family. Beyond that, I want to volunteer for some charities. I have considered Habitat for Humanity for many years, so maybe 2010 will be the year I finally get involved.

I also want to get into better shape. I have worked hard for the past few years in getting healthier, but I need to work even harder for the next twelve months. I had no issues that were flagged during my physical, but I want to feel healthier and that will take more exercise and better eating habits.

My seven year plan is still a little fuzzy at this point. I know that I want to change careers in the next five years. I would like to have a career that involved helping people. I need to feel like my job is doing something positive to help society in general. I can't justify working in the Marketing field any longer. My only problem is that I don't want to sacrifice my quality of life. This is the real reason that my seven or ten year plan is still fuzzy.

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP