Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Annoyances

I was listening to a podcast earlier today at work. One of the topics that was discussed was what mispronounced words annoy you. The word that started the whole topic was mayonnaise. It was being mispronounced by hosts as mannaise so someone called in to complain.

Here are some of the other words that were mentioned:

1. February - mispronounced Febuary
2. specific - mispronounced pacific
3. across - mispronounced acrost
4. for all intents and purposes - mispronounced for all intensive purposes
5. ask - mispronounced axe
6. kindergarten - mispronounced kindygarden or kindergarden
7. Valentine's day - mispronounced Valentime's day
8. moot point - mispronounced mute point
9. frustrated - mispronounced fustrated

There are so many of these that I can't list them all here. I would bet that there is even a regional and cultural influence on some words that could appear on this list. I know that some of these bug me, so it was funny to hear them discuss them. My particular pet peeve is pronouncing the word comfortable as comftrable. I even have Meg saying that one correctly.

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP