Wednesday, September 23, 2009

When Did Life Become No Fun?

I was listening to a radio show on my drive to work this morning. They were discussing a paradoy song that they wrote about a song that their station plays a lot. They were not happy that their station management cannot make a decision on their bits and that anything that is prerecorded has to go to the corporate lawyers for approval.

The show I was listening to was Kevin and Bean. If you know anything about their show, part of the humor is that they offend people. They routinely complain that anything they send to the lawyers gets rejected because they are so careful to not offend anyone. This flies in the face of what they show is all about. Why would their company continue to air their show if they don't want to offend anyone?

This brought to mind the fact that life itself is becoming boring. We are always told that we cannot say things because they will offend people. While I am very respectful of people's feelings, I think we have gone too far.

I see a parallel in my daughter's life. AYSO has removed goal keepers from the field until you move beyond the under eight level. Goal keepers are an integral part of the game. I don't know the exact reson for this decision, but it seems to be rooted in the feelings of the players. Goal keepers often get blamed for a goal that is scored. When I coached my oldest daughter's team, I did not allow that to happen. I was always telling the players that it is not the goal keeper's fault. After all, the team made it though all the rest of them before getting the shot on goal.

I see the same things happening in our schools. Teachers now must embrace positive discipline. In most instances this does work, but when you are dealing with a child who knows you cannot make them do anything the system begins to break down. If a kid knows that their is no punishment, or "easy" punishment, for their actions then why would they change their behavior? It is a tough situation for our teachers and administrators to be put in.

Life is not always going to be easy. People will offend you and hurt your feelings. Everyone who puts themself out on a line and pushes their limits will fail sometime, and their feelings will be hurt. I think our society is failing to teach people the skills to deal with these situations. This just makes it hurt worse when it does happen.

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP