Friday, April 2, 2010

Live Big

I really enjoyed a TV show named Boston Legal. James Spader played a very cynical lawyer with a very unique view of life. William Shatner played an aging ace lawyer who was a partner in the firm. Those two characters had great interaction in the show. I remmeber a line from one of the episodes in which James Spader's character said, "live big." That phrase hit a nerve with me and I think about it from time to time. I don't know if I really know what he was talking about, but I would like to try to live those words. I don't think I have done the phrase much justice up to this point.

I had not really thought about the phrase for some time and I had even forgotten about it. For some reason, I really began thinking about it on my vacation earlier this week. I can't remember what made it pop into my mind, but I was thinking about it the entire time. I think I might have been waiting in line for a roller coaster when it just popped into my mind. It sure is strange how the mind works.

Live big to me means to live your life in a way that you will not regret. It means that you should do all of the things in life that you want to do. I have a book named 1,000 Places to See Before You Die. In my mind, that book is the epitome of living big. Make a list of the things you want to accomplish and then tackle that list. Live without boundries.

This phrase really ties in well with a book I read a few months ago. The book was called The 4-Hour Workweek. See my blog posts about the book here and here. Here is a quote from the book that I think really ties in well with the phrase live big, "The fishing is best where the fewest go, and the collective insecurity of the world makes it easy for people to hit home runs while everyone else is aiming for base hits. There is just less competition for bigger goals. If you are insecure, guess what? The rest of the world is, too. Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think."

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP