Monday, April 5, 2010

How to Improve Yourself

What a monumental task that is. I have been using this blog as one of the tools I am using to improve myself and I have just dented the surface. This is not easy and most people do not even attempt to do it. The majority of people I observe either sleep walk their way through life or spend their time seeking fun and parties. I am not saying that you cannot have fun while improving yourself, just that the majority of people have no intention of even trying.

A lot of people are not even capable of having real relationships and conversations. One thing that makes me uncomfortable in "manly" situations like golfing, playing poker or going out with the boys is that most guys just make fun of each other, make rude comments or talk about women. I do my fare share of these things as well, but I like to think that I have real conversations and have real relationships with people I am close to.

Over the last three to four years I have really tried to improve myself. I have removed some people from my life who I felt were not a good fit for me. Thinning your tribe is something that you have to do pretty regularly. People change pretty regularly, so if someone is not compatible with your life goals you need to remove them. Compatibility is important in every aspect of your life from your spouse to your friends to you career.

It is sad to think that a lot of people have a job just to make money. They are miserable and don't like going to work everyday, but they force themselves to do it to make money to keep up with the Jones'. They work to accumulate stuff, most of which is not a necessity. I think that is the wrong reason to work. There should be a purpose in everything you do, including your career. This is something that is very hard to accomplish and I am in the process of attempting to get to this point myself.

Many people say that they need to escape from life. They need to escape from the stress that their daily life causes them. These people are not in charge of their own life. They should be trying to make their life what they want it to be instead of just playing the hand that life deals them. Make decisions that affect your life in a positive way and give you choices for your future. Don't limit your possibilities. Aim big!

This list has some really good suggestions for ways to improve your life. As I read through the list I see several items that I am trying to do in my own life. One thing I really need to do that is not on the list is to create a profile of myself. Some of the things on the list I would love to do include creating a life handbook, use to-do lists, learn a new language, join Toastmasters and start a business. Maybe I will work on those items this year.

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP