Saturday, August 1, 2009

Biking the Golden Gate Bridge

I took my family to San Francisco for a little vacation before school starts. In doing my research for the trip (I always do research before a trip), I came across a bicycle rental company that mentioned riding a bike across the Golden Gate Bridge. That sounded intriguing to me. I mentioned it to my wife and kids and they seemed to be game. I mentioned it again this morning and my 7 year old daughter Megan was very excited, so we decided to do it.

We rented the bikes at Fisherman's Wharf. They did not have a bike for my youngest daughter, so I decided to rent a tandem bike and ride it with her. We got all of the instructions, map and were off. It was a long ride to the bridge with three rather steep uphill climbs. We had to walk our bikes on each of them, as did most of the other riders. Once we got to the bridge, the biggest obstacle was all of the people walking the bridge. The ride over the bridge was pretty and fairly easy.

We rode all the way to Sausilito and to the wharf there. We then waited in line for about 45 minutes in order to catch the ferry back to Fisherman's Wharf. The ride was very nice and well worth the money spent. It was an experience that I am sure we will all be talking about for some time. I can't wait for Megan to go back to school and tell her teacher that she rode a bike across the Golden Gate Bridge on vacation.

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP