Sunday, August 16, 2009

Mowing the Lawn

As I was mowing my front lawn this morning, I started to think about paying someone to mow the lawns for me. This would be much easier and free me up for more lounging time, but is it worth the money. After thinking about it for a while, I realized that at this point it is not for me. For the time being I will continue to mow my own lawns.

I think this thought process was good. I try to teach my children the difference between wants and needs. Having someone mow my lawns for me is not a need, it is merely a want. Do I really need more lounging time? I don't think so. Now if I was going to do something worthwhile with that time that would be another story.

People today really do get wants and needs confused. "I need a new car." "I need a new cell phone." "I need to buy those pants." "I need..." Most of the things that we say we need are not really needs at all. The word "need" has lost its meaning because we use it incorrectly and way too often. I for one would like to see more people use the word "want" correctly instead of the word "need."

We need food. We need water. We need shelter. And maybe for society today we need clothing. Occasionally we even need medical care. But everything else is just something we want. I, for example, do not even need this blog but I do want it very much.

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP