Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What is a Hero?

With tomorrow being Veteran's Day, I thought I would explore a topic that is relevant. Most people consider people who "serve" in our military a hero. I question that type of labeling. What makes someone who serves in the military a hero just because they served?

Are you a hero for killing someone from another country? Are you a hero for destroying the infrastructure of a foreign city? Are you a hero for blindly taking orders? Are you a hero for being stationed in San Diego for 4 years? What makes a member of the military a hero?

If you do something heroic, you should be labeled a hero. I don't think you earn that label just because you choose the military as a profession. And let's face it, that is what it is. The same as being a police officer, fire fighter, teacher or postal worker. It is just a profession, and for many people it is the best profession they could ever hope for. You get to travel. All of your meals and living expenses are covered. Your medical, dental and vision needs are taken care of for you. Your college expenses get paid for. And you even get a pay check. Granted, the check is not that large, buy they are for the most part uneducated members of our workforce. Does any of this make you a hero. If it does, then I know a lot of heroes.

I don't think people should be labeled as heroes just because they choose a certain profession. I think you are a hero for what you choose to do. For your actions. For what you "fight" for. I guess I am just a bit more picky in who I label a hero.

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP