Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Blog Name Revisited

I took the name of this blog from a quote I found by Leonardo da Vinci. "Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!" In examining this quote, I think da Vinci is speaking to the ignorance and blind faith that existed in pre-renaissance Europe. I have not done a lot of research as to the timeframe that this quote was recorded, but seems to be an observation of the times. I think he could be calling on the people of the world to open their eyes to new ideas, new art techniques and new breakthroughs in science. To reduce the hold of the "church" on knowledge and culture so as to move forward as a society.

I think this quote fits the American society today. We complain about what politicians are doing and about the decisions that affect us, but very few people actually do anything. We need to open our eyes and take action against what we believe is wrong. We need to open our eyes and find answers on our own.

Should we trust what we are being told about issues such as global climate change or should we do our own research? I believe we should never stop learning and never hold on to what we are being told as being the truth.

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP