Thursday, July 16, 2009

Will you be my friend?

I witnessed an interesting moment yesterday. A young, macho guy asked a much older coworker if she had a Myspace page. She said she did. He then asked her if she would be his friend. Beside the fact that they are much different people and come from much different backgrounds, this seemed very odd to me. When did our online lives crossover to our real lives? Is this the way things are done in the Myspace world or is this as strange to you as it is to me?

I personally am not a fan or user of Myspace, but I thought the purpose was to totally eliminate personal contact. From what I have seen, it allows you to ask someone to be your friend without having to actually hear them say no. Online you can always make excuses. You know...maybe they don't use Myspace anymore, or maybe they didn't know it was me or one of many other excuses. It is a virtual high school quad where you don't have to risk rejection. Maybe I need to rethink my view of Myspace and consider it a real tool for making real connections with people.

What do you think?

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP