Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Henry Louis Gates Revisited

So, a few days ago I was watching the news and there was a follow-up story regarding the Gates arrest. They played a part of the 911 call and also a part of the radio conversation between the arresting officer and the police department. Prior to this, the arresting officer's lawyer stated that once the two recordings were released everyone would understand why Gates was arrested. That you could hear him being disobedient in the recording. After hearing the recordings, I must say I don't understand why he was arrested. The neighbor on the 911 call did say it looked like someone was breaking in, but later moved closer to the house and said there was luggage and that they might live there. I understand her call, but why did the police officer treat Gates the way he did?

The recording of the police officer did not do anything to change my mind. He seemed very calm and there was no yelling in the background like his lawyer implied. I think this was just a case of an officer with a chip on his shoulder and the moment his authority was brought into question, he overreacted to prove he was in control. This is a shame because I don't think it was a racist reaction like it is being portrayed in the media. I wish Obama would not have gotten involved, but because Gates is his friend it is understandable.

0 comments:

  © Copyright 2009 Fiftyfivered.com

Back to TOP